INSPIRED IMPACT is an ongoing blog series that gives voice to social entrepreneurs and leaders of mission-driven organizations who are making an impact in their communities and industries.
WHAT DO YOU DO?
Natural Capitalism Solutions’ mission is to educate senior decision-makers in business, government and civil society about how to implement more regenerative practices profitably. In partnership with leading thinkers and organizations, Natural Capitalism Solutions creates innovative, practical tools and implementation strategies for companies, communities and countries.
Specifically, we have three projects underway:
1. A Finer Future – My upcoming book, to be published in the fall of 2018. Stay tuned for its release!
2. Sustainability for All – this project will be launched in August of 2018. NCS will partner will local universities to train students to consult for small businesses, for free.
3. The Colorado Carbon Fund– Offset fund that purchases and sells local offsets to the community. Additionally, the CCF has Colorado license plates where individuals and fleets can offset their emissions each year.
WHY DO YOU DO IT?
The organization is based on the principles presented in the acclaimed book Natural Capitalism: Creating the Next Industrial Revolution, which I co-authored. Natural Capitalism Solutions has transformed the original Natural Capitalism Principles, into a leading whole-system sustainability framework. Since the book’s publication in 1999, my colleagues and I have helped companies and communities use these principles to capture the economic advantages of sustainability. The principles reduce capital investment and operating costs, drive profitability, and generate market leadership advantages.
The principles used by Natural Capitalism Solutions are:
1. Buy time by using resources dramatically more productively. This slows resource depletion, lessens pollution, and increases employment in meaningful jobs. It lowers costs for business and society, halts the degradation of the biosphere, makes it more profitable to employ people, and preserves vital living systems and social cohesion.
2. Redesign industrial processes and the delivery of products and services to do business as nature does, using such approaches as biomimicry and cradle to cradle. This approach enables a wide array of materials to be produced with sunlight using processes that emulate nature’s genius. It emphasizes Walter Stahel’s concept of the circular economy and cradle to cradle manufacturing in which waste is eliminated, materials are reused, and products are remanufactured.
3. Manage all institutions to be regenerative of natural and human capital. Such approaches implement the concept of ecological economics to create sustainable prosperity “improving human well-being and social equity, while significantly reducing environmental risk an ecological scarcities.” This supports the ability to produce more wealth in intact communities with abundant ecosystem services and natural resources.
WHAT IMPACT ARE YOU MAKING?
Natural Capitalism Solutions is making both a local and global impact. I travel the globe delivering speeches to inspire audiences to participate in regenerative systems. Locally, NCS runs our various project initiatives to further our mission. NCS has consulted with a number of countries, companies and communities on regenerative policy–showing them the benefits of changing their systems. Our impact is broad, ambitious and ever important.
WHAT (OR WHO) INSPIRES YOU TO MAKE THIS IMPACT?
NCS is inspired by a vision for a better world; for an economy in service to life. Our work is focused on spreading regenerative practices and transforming the global economy.
WHAT’S YOUR BIG DREAM FOR THE ORGANIZATION AND THE IMPACT YOU WANT TO MAKE?
NCS wants to make change from the ground up. Our impact is both local and global. We are changing the way people think about the economy. Our dream is to improve current systems in our economy to be more equitable for all.
WHAT RESOURCES DO YOU NEED TO MAKE THOSE DREAMS COME TRUE?
We need the ability to spread our message to our communities. We are able to do this through concrete messaging, passionate supporters and driven change-makers.
WHAT IS (OR HAS BEEN) YOUR BIGGEST CHALLENGE?
How do you make such a lofty topic tangible? People understand there are injustices in our economy. However, because it is such an enormous topic, it is hard for individuals, businesses and local municipalities to think they have a stake in the game. We are here to support them in being the change.
WHAT WORDS OF ADVICE DO YOU HAVE FOR OTHER LEADERS LOOKING TO MAKE AN IMPACT?
Do one thing. Do one thing every day that is positive to our planet or our society. Every small effort counts, and we need all the help we can get.
HOW CAN OTHERS SUPPORT YOU OR YOUR CAUSE?
Sign up for our newsletter to hear about exciting events and opportunities you can be a part of. We have a few exciting upcoming projects taking place in Boulder County, Colorado. Our focus this year is to disseminate this message to the world.
Orapin Marketing + Public Relations is an award-winning communications agency that generates awareness, engagement, and, ultimately, support for mission-driven organizations. We amplify their voice and reach so they can increase their impact. If you would like to be featured on INSPIRED IMPACT, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.