INSPIRED IMPACT™ is an ongoing blog series that gives voice to social entrepreneurs and leaders of mission-driven organizations who are making an impact in their communities, industries, and around the world.
WHAT DO YOU DO?
We provide a community space and ‘time’ – an alternative pathway space -every week throughout the year for youth and young men in the critical ages of 14 – 25 years old.
WHY DO YOU DO IT?
Our vision and purpose is generational change. We do this through our mission of providing a place of brotherhood and personal growth for urban young men. We have been doing this for almost six years and the feedback we hear from our participants – when it comes to the impact on their lives because of the space/time/relationships/trust/brotherhood/sense of belonging and respect – is nothing short of magical. This is why we do the work we do.
WHAT IMPACT ARE YOU MAKING?
Our impact is best measured from the feedback and voices of our participants. When they say “If it wasn’t for Street Fraternity and/or staff, I would have been…..”. We know we are having an impact in their lives, family, and community.
WHAT (OR WHO) INSPIRES YOU TO MAKE THIS IMPACT?
The young men… not only their potential but their knowledge to make significant impact on society and their resilience in each of their obstacles and challenges… inspires us.
WHAT’S YOUR BIG DREAM FOR THE ORGANIZATION AND THE IMPACT YOU WANT TO MAKE?
Our ‘concept’ of providing a voluntary participation community space for youth and young men at critical ages and at highest risks has been recognized for its relevance and significance locally, nationally, and internationally. Those recognitions have come from young adults, non-profit organizations, individuals, and local to international government agencies. With that, our dreams are:
- to keep sustaining and doing the work where we are
- expand to where we are needed and wanted and/or advise others on how to do this work (many places)
- to get funding for both from individuals, organizations, foundations, and philanthropists who passionately or will passionately connect to this work.
WHAT RESOURCES DO YOU NEED TO MAKE THOSE DREAMS COME TRUE?
1. Community and ‘street knowledge’-oriented leaders in neighborhoods and cities where there are needs and wants for our concept. 2. Funding
WHAT IS (OR HAS BEEN) YOUR BIGGEST CHALLENGE?
Finding additional fitting funding not only for the critical ages of 14-25 years olds, but also for our concept of drop-in/walk-in community space that is having a significant impact.
WHAT WORDS OF ADVICE DO YOU HAVE FOR OTHER LEADERS LOOKING TO MAKE AN IMPACT?
Listen, listen, and listen…. and don’t give answers to whom you serve but ask questions for them to voice their own authentic and purposeful answers.
HOW CAN OTHERS SUPPORT YOU OR YOUR CAUSE?
1. Visit our space and get a tour. 2, We welcome, if you have the ability, to prep or cater a meal for our nightly meals: Mondays to Thursdays at 6 pm. 3. Attend our 2nd annual fundraiser in 2019 (tentatively set for Feb. 21, 2019). 4. We have a shoestring budget and rely on individual contributions and you can consider supporting us by donating online.
Orapin Marketing + Public Relations is an award-winning communications agency that generates awareness, engagement, and, ultimately, support for mission-driven organizations. We amplify their voice and reach so they can increase their impact. If you would like to be featured on INSPIRED IMPACT™, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.